Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Creative Engagement- My new favorite adaptation

      One of the things I don't like about online classes is how little you get to know about your fellow classmates.  For instance did you know that I was the youngest person ever to climb Mt. Rushmore?  Also I hate how easy it is to lie to everyone.
       I'm a huge video game/comic book nerd, and that something that pretty much everyone (teachers included) knows in my other classes.  So i thought I'd take an opportunity to bring in some of my hobbies with this post about a different type of adaptation.





        It's called Kill Shakespeare.  The basic premise is what if all of Shakespeare's greatest heroes and villains existed together in one world.  I'm talking Puck, Falstaff, Hamlet, Richard III, the Macbeths, Juliet, all the big players.  In this world exists a wizard named William Shakespeare who some believe is a god to be worshiped (those are the good guys) and others believe is a power hungry wizard whose powers can be usurped (those would be the power hungry bad guys).  Hamlet is the key, the 'Shadow Prince' who is supposed to be the only one who can find Shakespeare.
       A lot of it is campy, and the artwork is far from the best I've seen, but what it does with some of the characters is awesome.  Not to give to much away, but Juliet is awesome.  Emboldened by the death of Romeo (she didn't kill herself) Juliet leaves behind her life of luxury and founds the resistance movement along with Othello and Falstaff.
        For twenty bucks (ten on amazon) you can get the first run of it which spans six issues.  You can read it in an afternoon and so far there isn't a huge amount of depth to it beyond the usual good vs. evil stuff, but it is so much fun seeing all these characters in one place.  It doesn't work as well as some of the other adaptations, but its certainly not the worst (Leonardo DiCaprio, I'm looking at you).  I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment