Friday, April 15, 2011

Letter To Students

Dear Students,
       I witnessed a very disturbing occurrence today as I attempted to cram for a Roman History exam.  Now, having been a student an UD for almost three years, I am quite familiar with the man known as "Kirkbride Jesus."  You know him too, the one who stands on South College near Kirkbride Hall and informs us all that we are on a sex and alcohol fuel slip and slide to hell. (Obviously he has never taken one of Professor Sidebotham's exams, hell isn't a place you go when you die, its available Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 1:25-2:15.)
       However misguided I believe him to be, I respect the man's right to free speech, but what I saw and heard over the last few says, today in particular, shocked me.  I watched as he and his lackeys (for I can think of no other word for someone who so willfully ignorant) planning a coordinated attack (verbal, of course) on students.  This followed by a particularly hate filled diatribe about screamed out at my peers as they rushed to and from class.
      I have to wonder, why?  Why is he so hell, or rather heaven, bent on telling me that everything do and believe is wrong?  Its funny really.  The pathetic ramblings of a man without the common decency to live and let live.  I'd laugh, if I didn't want very much to cry.
      Its horrible to see something meant to be positive twisted in such a way.  Sure there are plenty of amoral people at UD, but the majority of them that I've met, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and Atheist alike, are generally good people.  So what does KJ think he is accomplishing?  other than letting us know that Jesus loves him more than us, the answer is nothing.
      I look forward to a day where all can be left to live and let live, but until then, I'll just turn my iPod up louder and move to my own beat.

-Nick Lugo

6 comments:

  1. A couple of points I want to comment on.
    1. Yes, he has indeed never met Sidebotham. I fear him more than anything and
    2. That this man has no right to speak to us this way.

    Yes, I understand it is free speech, but how far can he go with free speech before it becomes slander? He calls all the women on our campuses whores and all the men sacreligious or something or another, which we all know isn't true. It's ridiculous that someone can take something that preaches love and turn it into a hateful screaming speech at students who probably aren't even paying attention or want to hear such a thing. There is no way to get your message across in that mannner. Just because someone isn't Christian and goes to a liberal college does not make them the scum of the Earth, which is how Mark (I believe that is the main guy's name) speaks to all UD students. All I can hope for is a peaceful protest of another religious group setting up next to him and showing their message by being silent and seeing if anyone comes up to them. (My RSO almost did this one year - Pagan Student Union. Playing meditation music and just hanging around, saying nothing, to make a point).

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah I loved this! I'm pretty sure the University doesn't feel like he is exercising his right to free speech properly ergo his limitation to the public sidewalk, which is not considered school property. I would really like to know the story behind his attacks. Is it for pleasure of for his church? I'd like to know because if he is "lecturing" us as a priest, minister, pastor ect in the name of his religion, I find him truly ironic,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that someone posted about this man! Since Freshman year I have been witness to so many of his lectures, or screaming speeches, about the way UD students should be living my life. When scheduling classes, I deliberately try to avoid even walking past him since all of his close-minded comments drive me crazy. Just as he has freedom of speech, we have the freedom to live our lives the way we see fit. I think that being religious or spiritual can be something very positive; however, this man takes it to a new level. He becomes more demeaning and hypocritical each time he talks. I'm surprised that UD campus hasn't done something about it already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KJ is annoying to say the least, but I actually think its humorous. I don't think there are any students on campus that stand there, listen to him and take anything he says to heart. People may stop and listen to laugh but I can not imagine anyone taking him all that serious. He obvious is not all the way there if he spends his time doing this.

    I don't know if there is much UD could do, technically he's not doing anything wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I couldnt agree more with you, everyday thosuands of students pass by Kirkbride listening to this lou dmouthed obnoxius individual. I understand that everybody has the right to speak their mind, but the outlandish things he says i really feel should be kept to myself. I agree with what you said about the whole idea of live and let live. Its fine if he has his say, but keep it to yourself for the good of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great post. I completely agree with how you feel about him. When I first came to UD, I felt bad for him and how the student population mocked him to his face. However upon closer listening I realized the things he was saying were absolutely inappropriate and grossly offensive to believers and non-believers alike. Great job, and great topic to discuss!

    ReplyDelete